Homeschool Essentials

Whether unschooled or highly structured, religious or secular, all homeschools encounter the same challenges. All successful homeschools exhibit the same essential qualities. This weblog will help you understand and apply those qualities, minimize frustration, and enjoy more success sooner.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Who? Me? Homeschool Burnout?

A thousand apologies. As I said in the previous post, this just proves I'm still a real homeschooler. Even now that my youngest is 21! Only now, instead of running her to swimming lessons, I'm picking up her fiance at the airport.

You think as your children grow older and learn to drive, that you'll once again have time to pursue your own interets once more. But through some inexplicable process, you end up driving more, not less, as you children have their own wheels. It is a total mystery to me.

But Homeschool Burnout I know too well. Mom reaches her wits end, which journey takes less and less time each winter morning. The kids are restless, resentful, bored, and quarrelsome. You come to wonder if the whole enterprise is worthwhile at all.

One source of frustration for parents can be remedied by recognizing it for what it is. Parental Expectations.

In the fall, the new "school year" stretches out like a golden landscape. This year, Mom thinks, finally this year we'll get all those marvelous things done. For a while, Mom's full of energy and enthusiasm.

Before long, the Holiday season comes along, with all of the interruptions that brings. Not nearly as much "schooling" gets done as had been hoped, but the year's young and optimism reigns

After New Year's Day, a vast stretch of time extends well into spring, without interruption of major holidays.

By the time March arrives, all illusions of grand achievements have to be abandoned. Mom either cracks down on the kids or gives up in despair. But the end is not yet. Languishing in the debris of lost hopes and lost opportunities, everybody burns out, and people become so contentious they can't stand one another. So I get the desparate phone call.



March is burnout month.

Lots of Homeschoolers experience burnout this time of year.

You'll find some of the symptons (and their cures) on my Homeschool Essentials Website

7 Comments:

Anonymous home school cirriculums said...

Homeschool Essentials it sounds like your school year is very much on track! After reading Who? Me? Homeschool Burnout?, I feel it would make a perfect article for my site homeschool, with your permission.

4:31 AM  
Anonymous home school cirriculums said...

Hey Homeschool Essentials, I read your entry, Who? Me? Homeschool Burnout?. I would like to use it on my site homeschool with your permission.

7:59 AM  
Anonymous home school cirriculums said...

Hey Homeschool Essentials, I read your entry, Who? Me? Homeschool Burnout?. I would like to use it on my site homeschool with your permission.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous home school cirriculums said...

Homeschool Essentials it sounds like your school year is very much on track! After reading Who? Me? Homeschool Burnout?, I feel it would make a perfect article for my site homeschool gathering place, with your permission.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous homeschool gathering place said...

I would like to link to your entry, Who? Me? Homeschool Burnout? , Homeschool Essentials . It would be a perfect fit for my website homeschool curriculum , with your permission.

8:12 AM  
Anonymous homeschool said...

After reading Who? Me? Homeschool Burnout?, Homeschool Essentials I believe I could use the content for my site, homeschool curriculum . If I could have your permission.

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a website that may be of interest to your Christian Homeschool Studies. I have done an extensive study of the Biblical genealogies and compared them with the secular history of the time. You can find the following information: individual biographies for each character, dates, maps, Hebrew meanings of names, Bible cross reference and history. If this is of interest to you, you can find it at http://www.BibleFamilyTree.com.

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home