Homeschool Essentials

Whether unschooled or highly structured, religious or secular, all homeschools encounter the same challenges. All successful homeschools exhibit the same essential qualities. This weblog will help you understand and apply those qualities, minimize frustration, and enjoy more success sooner.

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Proof that I'm still a Homeschooler



March is Homeschool burnout month.

Lots of Homeschoolers experience burnout this time of year.

You'll find some of the symptons (and their cures) on my Homeschool Essentials Website

O.K., O.K. Several days ago I said something about coming back "tomorrow," and I didn't make it. Well, I'm still homeschooling, even though my youngest is 21 years old and a junior in college.

My youngest is majoring in Political Science and Public Relations, but is attending on multiple scholarships in music. While that's unusual for schooled kids, it's not all that strange for homeschooled kids. It always amuses me that school proponents --and too many homeschool parents--worry about homeschooling producing children who are not fully prepared. What a laugh. Unschooling, natural learning at home as I prefer to call it, engages the learner in all the richness of reality. Far from being narrow, lacking exposure to some things, they get experience-- e-x-p-e-r-i-e-n-c-e -- real-life experience in a broad range of things. Expose them to learning opportunities, and they latch on and go far beyond anything a teacher could imagine to assign for them.

So when they show up for college, they have multiple skills and opportunities. And with real-life experience, they have a better idea of what they want to do than the average kid, kept in the artificial school environment.

She left on a choir tour last Thursday for Chicago and New York City. Well, as homeschool parents get used to, there were some last minute complications, some help only we could provide, and the first domino of what turned out to be a hectic weekend. It's almost enough to cause burnout-- well, no, not really. The frustration that builds into burnout has deeper roots and lasts longer.

So, I didn't make it in time to start talking about homeschool burnout. And it's all I can do to check in late today. But tomorrow--really, I think I can make it tomorrow. we'll get a real good start.

In the meantime, I'll finish my recovery and get back to you. You know how homeschooling can be. Oh, yeah, and then there's the grandkids. Whew!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home