Homeschool Essentials

Whether unschooled or highly structured, religious or secular, all homeschools encounter the same challenges. All successful homeschools exhibit the same essential qualities. This weblog will help you understand and apply those qualities, minimize frustration, and enjoy more success sooner.

Friday, December 10, 2004

Essentials for Homeschoolers in a Hurry to Start

Although probably a majority of families who decide to opt out of schools and help their children learn at home, sometimes called "homeschooling" (see my first post on why I hate that term), in my 25 years of helping homeschool families, I've seen that some choose it every month. And the New Year, just after the holidays, and around the beginning of the second half of the year, is a very popular time.

Over time, I'll be getting into almost every issue right here. But if you're in a hurry to get underway, I can direct you to other resources of mine on the web.

My home page for homeschooling is can be foune here. From there you can find a great deal of information. But if you're really in a hurry, go to my beginner's page first thing. If you already know about your state law, the next thing you need to know is about the transition phase, of shifting from schoolish thinking to and understanding of learning at home. A quick diagnosis of your children's attitudes (and your own), here, can tell you how much needs to be changed. This page will help you make a start on that. Further posts on this blog will elaborate, especially as questions come in.

For those concerned, the Ten Worst Mistakes homeschoolers make can be found here. For those interested in more information about your humble author, it can be found on this page.

If you're interested in homeschooling in my state of Iowa, there's a good deal of information on compliance with our law here. There's a handy glossary of terms, to make the sometimes opaque legal language easier to understand. I have been intimately involved with every stage of development of our law, and have several pages on the various types of complicance: supervising teacher, testing, or portfolio evaluation.

Yes, I have a homeschool book, or more accurately a workbook for parents, to help them put together a homeschool curriculum tailored to each family's, and each child's needs. It was piloted with scores of real homeschool families, to make sure it actually worked in real homes. And it's in continuous use by hundreds of families right now.

But this post is not about selling my book, or anything, right now, but to help new families get a quick feel for what may be facing them in the weeks and months immediately ahead.

That's it for now.

Ed


4 Comments:

Anonymous homeschool curriculum said...

Hey Homeschool Essentials, I read your entry, Essentials for Homeschoolers in a Hurry to Start. I would like to use it on my site homeschool curriculum with your permission.

4:13 AM  
Anonymous homeschool lesson plans said...

Not bad Homeschool Essentials, Essentials for Homeschoolers in a Hurry to Start is an entry that I would like to add to my site, home school cirriculums, with your permission please.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous homeschool gathering place said...

Not bad Homeschool Essentials, Essentials for Homeschoolers in a Hurry to Start is an entry that I would like to add to my site, homeschool gathering place, with your permission please.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous homeschool said...

Hey Homeschool Essentials, I need articles for my site, homeschool curriculum, so I did a search for homeschool curriculum and came across your site. I just read your entry, Essentials for Homeschoolers in a Hurry to Start and thought I could use this entry as an article. I of course am asking your permission before I publish it.

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home